Friday, May 29, 2015

Thankfulness, Early Intervention, and a Plea

Thankfulness:

Over the past year, I have become connected through the internet to a large network of people who are involved in the adoption process - those who are just beginning, those who are close to meeting their child(ren), and those who have already adopted.  In getting to know these people, I have heard many stories of adopting parents being on the receiving end of negative comments about their decision to adopt, not just from strangers or acquaintances, but from family, friends, church members, co-workers, etc.    This astounds me.  In the 13 months since we began the adoption process for Kellin, do you know how many negative comments we've received?  NONE.  I can't remember a single person saying or implying that we were making a poor decision when we decided to adopt Kellin.  Surprised, yes, we encountered a lot of surprised people.  Uninformed, yes, lots of people didn't really understand.  But no negativity.  From anyone.

I am so thankful.  Our families have embraced Kellin as one of our own.  Our friends have all been supportive.  And because I work in special education, I am surrounded by people who love special children and have been celebrating all of Kellin's accomplishments right along with us.  It's overwhelming.  Yesterday a group of co-workers threw a baby shower for us.  Kellin received so many wonderful new toys and clothes, and much-appreciated diapers.  Kellin was there, and while he handled it pretty well (for him), there was still some fussing and shutting down because of all the noise and new voices.  The support in that room was amazing and I am so blessed to work with such caring, accepting people.

Early Intervention:

As an early childhood special education teacher, I believe very strongly in early intervention services for children with special needs (meaning therapies and support for parents while a child is an infant, toddler, and preschooler).  Kellin is already benefiting from the excellent services our school district provides.  But I find myself thinking - what if he could have been receiving those services from the time he was a baby, age one, age two?  What difference could that have made in his life?  Certainly he would have many more skills than he does after spending those critical first years in a crib.

I want to show you a picture of a child who has recently been listed for adoption.  She is a baby girl, only a few months old, and she is blind.  It is a wonderful opportunity for her to be listed at such a young age and have the chance to come home to a loving family and benefit from early intervention services.  I don't know anything about her orphanage (and no, she is not in China, like Kellin), so I can't say for sure, but if not adopted, will her situation be similar to Kellin's?  Will she lay in a crib, for the most part ignored?  I desperately don't want that to happen.  She needs help NOW.

gabriella
Gabriella
http://reecesrainbow.org/90944/gabriella

A Plea:

One more story of a child who desperately needs a family.  This little boy is six years old, turning seven in June.  He is blind and living in an excellent foster home.  But if a family is not found by his seventh birthday, he will be sent back to his orphanage, which does not have a school equipped to teach him.  This means he will not have the opportunity for an appropriate education, which of course significantly impacts his future.

simon phone
Simon
http://reecesrainbow.org/86198/simon

In my next post, I'll share more about Kellin and his progress - but for today, please see these two precious children.  Pray for them, share about them, donate to their funds.  Do something crazy and decide to adopt one yourself.  I promise it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors