Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Celebration!

Saturday was a big day around here. We celebrated Kellin's baptism in the morning, and since his birthday is coming up on August 29th, we decided to have a big baptism/birthday/homecoming/thank-you-to-those-who-supported-us-through-his-adoption party. Essentially, we just wanted to celebrate Kellin! We had lots of family and friends here, and we had a great time! Even Kellin did very well with all the people and noise and was able to stay calm. He even let a few of the grandparents hold him. Because Kellin has pretty much everything he needs or could want, we asked that people not bring gifts for him, but if they wanted, to make a donation to a waiting child or family. I am happy to say that we received about $80 that we will be able to pay forward to a child and family on Reece's Rainbow! It was truly a fantastic day!

We chose to do Kellin's baptism at home. The two women are good friends of our family who we chose to be Kellin's godparents (yes, one of them is also the pastor who baptized him - pretty neat, huh?).

Over the past two weeks, we feel that we have seen some big gains in terms of Kellin's confidence and mood. He seems to be enjoying more things, and he seems to want to do more things for himself. A few days ago, he decided that he wanted to walk up and down the stairs instead of crawling. And he does! He puts one hand on the wall, and holds someone's hand with the other, and he walks up and down those stairs. A few months ago, I couldn't even conceive of the possibility of him being able to get up and down the stairs. He has also decided that he wants to help feed himself with a spoon, so he holds his spoon (with a good strong grip, rather than the limp, falling-out-of-his-hand grip he had been using), brings it to his mouth, and (with help) brings the spoon back to the bowl and scoops more food onto it. And not just for a bite or two - for most of a meal. He seems pretty proud of himself when he accomplishes these things (and when he helps dress/undress himself - he gets a big grin on his face). So fun to see!


On a different note:
When I was in China, I had the opportunity to visit Bethel, the foster care program where Kellin lived for several months as a baby. They provide high-quality care for children with visual impairments in China. During my tour, when I entered one of the cottages, a little boy came up to me and grabbed my hands while chattering away. He was speaking in Chinese, so I don't know what he was saying, but he was just delightful as he bounced and danced around, talking all the time. I was captivated by this little guy (his energy and enthusiasm reminded me of our son Tigger), and I was so glad when the staff told me he had a family coming for him. Unfortunately, I was sad to learn recently that his family was unable to complete his adoption, and he is again looking for a family. He is five years old, with low vision, but my impression was that developmentally he was doing very well. He clearly can speak well and was just a bundle of energy. He lives at Bethel, so he is well cared for and is receiving an education. Is anyone looking for a friendly, energetic little boy to join their family?




And Quinntavius still waits. Why? I really don't know. His needs are minor and manageable, and he is in a questionable orphanage, and he REALLY needs a family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors