Sunday, July 6, 2014

New Name Poster

Our oldest, her name is on the blanket.
Over the years I have always made a poster for my children's bedroom when they are around 2 that features the character they are interested in and also their name.  The images of their posters are on the left, with the names edited out.

I really wanted to make a name poster for Kellin as well.  Of course this presented an interesting challenge for me for two reasons.  One, I want Kellin to be able to enjoy what I have made for him, and an image certainly is not going to be very meaningful. Second, I don't really know what he is going to be into.

The middle child's, name is on the boxcar.
The youngest, his name is embedded in the unedited image.
The first issue I decided that I would need to make a picture that he could feel.  I remembered reading a book to my children about a little girl who makes a picture for her blind grandfather by gluing materials with all sorts of textures down to a piece of paper.  So I decided that in addition to putting his name in braille, and block letters, that I wanted to have many different tactile components to the picture.

Maybe I should have waited to meet Kellin before making his name poster, so I would know what sort of thing he liked.  But I decided instead to share one of my favorite places with him. So this is what I came up with.  It has a plaster cliff, sticks and cloth for trees, sand paper and pebbles for a beach, foil for water and of course cotton for clouds.

After I took the picture I added stones to the bottom to spell his name in braille, and wooden letters spell it out vertically next to the cliff.  We are of course not revealing the name we are giving him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors