Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Learning New Habits

One thing everyone in our household is going to need to practice at for the addition of a blind family member, is not leaving things laying around!  We have gotten into a bad habit of letting certain areas of the house get cluttered.  For someone who can't see, having familiar locations of objects in the house is very important!

One of the original panels.
We have been focusing over the past week on changing this habit.  Everyone in the house is trying to be more aware of putting things back when they are done with them.  One of the problem areas that I decided needed to be addressed was Legos!  Our oldest boy loves playing with Legos.  They tend to get spread all around and they take a really long time to clean up.

The finished table top.
My solution was to get a special table for Legos.  Of course, we are trying to save money.  So buying one was out of the question.  I decided to make one.  With even wood being expensive, Kathleen remembered there was an old playhouse they were getting rid of at work.  So we drove out to her work and took apart the playhouse, and strapped two of the walls (seen in this picture) to the top of the car.  I wish I would have had a picture of that.

In place in the basement.
He has more Legos than we thought!
I spent the last day and a half taking the trim off the walls, cutting it down to size and reassembling it into the table.  I realized that my design wasn't the best for the method of putting them away, but since I have taken the pictures, I got rid of the bar so that there is a bigger gap to push the Legos through into the bin below.  Not the best craftmanship, but it will do the trick, and it has lots of character!  It will definitely get a lot of use over the years, as our youngest son has shown some interest in the Duplos.  Who knows, maybe Kellin will enjoy playing with them as well!

The project had two purposes really.  Helping to get our house ready for Kellin, and helping to pass a small part of the time waiting for him to come home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors