Sunday, August 10, 2014

Weird Feeling in the House

The house is feeling empty tonight.  I dropped off Rabbit at camp this afternoon.  This will be her first camp experience, and in fact, she has only been away from me a handful of nights in her whole life before.  We are fortunate to have found this camp, which is only for children with diabetes, and therefore there are many staff and they are all highly trained.  But it feels so strange not to have Rabbit around here.  Generally speaking, having a child with diabetes is not really that big of a deal.  Checking blood sugars and counting carbs are part of our routine around here and we hardly think about it most of the time.  However, when she's not here, all of a sudden I realize certain things.  For example, I made pizza for supper - half pepperoni and half cheese.  Only after it was done, I noticed that the pepperoni side was bigger than the cheese.  No big deal, right?  Just cut the pepperoni slices bigger than the cheese.  Only if Rabbit was here, I would have needed to make sure all the pieces were the same size, so they had the same number of carbs.  Or after I put Tigger and Pooh to bed and came downstairs, which is when I usually help Rabbit do her last blood sugar check before heading to bed, and she wasn't here.  It just feels weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors