Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Power of a Picture

One year ago today I saw Kellin's picture for the first time.  One year ago today we were not in the process of adopting; we had talked about it in "probably someday" sense, but really we had only had superficial conversations about when, what kind of child, and what country, and no decisions had been made.  The only thing I knew for sure is that I wanted to adopt a boy, because so many more boys wait than girls (did you know that the majority of adopting families choose girls?). However, I was (and still am) a daily lurker on the Reece's Rainbow website, and I always checked out the newly listed children.  I had certainly seen children I was drawn to before, but I had always been skeptical of that "when you see your child, you just know" mentality.  But when I saw Kellin, I KNEW.  I swear my heart skipped a beat, or stopped for a moment, or something.  It was similar to what I experienced the moment that I heard each of my other children cry for the first time after birth.  Three days later, we were viewing his file and searching for a home study agency.

One year ago, we were a busy family with two working parents and three young children (one with medical needs).  We did not have $35,000 sitting around.  We did not have experience with adoption and knew very few people who had adopted.  No one in either of our families had adopted.  We were not familiar with international travel.  We did not know how we would make arrangements for someone to care for our children while we traveled.  We did not really know the extent of the paperwork that needed to be done.  We did not know the heartbreaking details of our son's history - abandoned, placed in an orphanage, sent to a high-qualify foster care home, and then suddenly removed from there several months later.  We did not know our son's health had deteriorated since those roly-poly, chubby baby pictures had been taken, since being returned to the orphanage.

And guess what?  Here we are, a year later, and Kellin has been HOME since January 24th.  We fundraised, learned, did paperwork, shared our story, and prayed - and we did it!  Has it been easy? NO.  Absolutely not.  Everyone says adoption is hard, and they are right.  Adjusting to the life changes of having Kellin in our family has been hard.  But SO COMPLETELY WORTH IT.  If I knew then what I know now, would I still do it?  Absolutely.  Kellin has enriched our family and he is just coming alive with the attention, stimulation, and love.

My message here is that if we can do this, others can do it too.  You don't need to be rich, or have a big house, or wait for the perfect "right time."  It can be done.

My heart is still broken for all the other children who wait.  Now that we are settling into our new routine with Kellin, I find I am thinking more about all the other children who have not been chosen.  Does anyone remember "Koins 4 Kellin?"  The fundraiser our daughter ran to collect spare change for our adoption?  We have pulled out a container and placed it on our kitchen table, put pictures of three precious children on it, and we are collecting money for these children.  Please consider joining us in helping these children's adoption grants grow so that perhaps a family will be able to choose them too.

new jesse
Meet Jesse.  I have featured him on the blog before.  He was abandoned at nine months old and when found, he had a severe eye infection that cost him his sight.  He was so sick he was expected to die.  However, he is a fighter!  He survived, and is fortunate enough to be cared for in a good foster home.  But he still doesn't have a family.  He is just five years old.  Will you add to his grant, share his story, help him to be SEEN?  Could he be your son? http://reecesrainbow.org/59002/jesse

simon phone
This is Simon.  He is six years old and very intelligent.  He is also blind.  He lives in a foster home that specializes in providing high-quality care and education for visually impaired children.  HOWEVER, this home is for preschoolers and is not equipped to continue Simon's education now that he is older.  He is supposed to be sent back to his orphanage - and there is no school there that is prepared to teach a blind child.  If not adopted, Simon's chances of a good education and a future are in jeopardy.  Please join us in helping him! http://reecesrainbow.org/86198/simon

Holly 2
And this little princess is Holland.  She is three years old and has lost her sight due to cancer.  She has endured cancer treatments - without a mommy and daddy at her side.  She has been through so much but is doing well.  I can't believe this beautiful little girl is still waiting.  Her needs sound severe but really, there are no limits to what she can achieve with the love of a family and good medical care.  There MUST be a family out there for her! http://reecesrainbow.org/70509/holland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors