Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tired

I do not have a whole lot new to add tonight, but I figured some of you might want to know what we have all been up to.

We haven't always been able to find time to Skype, it is very difficult to coordinate schedules, but we have a couple of times since the last time I posted.  I feel that from the first time I saw Kellin on Skype to what I have seen from him recently, he is looking much more comfortable with Kathleen.  The first time, he was squirming, and stimming, and just really looked like he didn't want to be there.  Now he will sit and even cuddle in a little bit!  He still tires of the attention and wants to be left alone sometimes, and that is hard on Kathleen, but even though having somebody love you is a change for the better, it is a big adjustment!  Keep your prayers with Kathleen and Kellin.  I know she is a little overwhelmed, not so much with the care-giving.  I think just with the sadness of realizing just how bad his life was to make him react to things in the way he does.

On to the positives!  Kellin is vocalizing more and more.  Kathleen has heard him say "mama"  and "baba".  Not in a way that means anything yet, but just like a baby, you start with their utterances and get them to associate it with something so that it means something.  The goal for "mama" is obvious.  For "baba", he has a ball that he enjoys holding, so Kathleen is trying to use that on him.  In terms of food, she is slowly getting him to take in a few new flavors, some baby veggies, and some yogurt.  But at this point everything still needs to come from the bottle.  Right now, the goal is to get that kid some Calories!  Kathleen suspects Kellin does have some light sensitivity.  He has responded to lights being turned off.  He likes to sit by the window in their hotel room, facing it, but only when it is light outside.

They have gotten out to do some sight-seeing.  Today they are hotel-bound as the air quality is "dangerous".  I don't know what all is they see.  I only get the pictures, no explanations to go with them. Tomorrow they have the next big challenge, flying to Guangzhou.  Hopefully Kellin will be able to handle that ok.  I guess that is good practice for the long international flight home about a week later.

Here at home things are going well enough.  I am getting a bit worn down, and a bit behind.  The past couple of evenings it has been get home, make supper, eat quick and head out.  Last night it was to pick up the new van.  We had thought about waiting until the summer to purchase a vehicle, but as the fundraising was very successful and we ended up not as cash-strapped as we feared at the end, we decided we did not need to.  It will be nice to have a vehicle that can hold the whole family.  The three kids at home have already had a lot of fun riding in it.  Tonight was piano lessons for Rabbit.  After that, online grading for me.  I really should grade some other papers, but the kids will forgive me, and the laundry has been waiting to be folded for quite awhile.

I really should not complain.  I'm not really doing any more than Kathleen has to do regularly.  When I am coaching I am often gone and she has to do all the things that I have been doing by herself.  Of course we all know she is more competent than I am.  Luckily Grandma is coming to visit this weekend, and she can entertain the kids while I get caught up on everything that I'm too tired to do right now.

So I think we are all a little weary, and ready to be reunited.  We know it isn't going get easier when Kathleen and Kellin are home, but at least then we will be doing it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors