Sunday, January 11, 2015

Virtually Complete Family!


Grandpa helping Kellin walk. Wish I could trade places.
The day has finally come, our family is virtually complete!  Of course Kathleen and Kellin are still in China, but we have checked in over Skype twice now!

So far Kellin has spent the night, and a few hours on either side with mommy.  A quick down of what we have learned so far from the experience (at least what I have gathered from Skyping):

  • He hasn't cried once yet - not really a good things.
  • He shows his agitation in other ways (mainly stimming - which is to be expected with somebody who has sensory issues)
  • He likes to have people help him walk.
  • He does not like applesauce.  Much to Kathleen's dismay, so far all she has had luck with is the formula from the orphanage.
  • He likes to lay or stand, not a fan of sitting.
  • He babbles, sometimes in a musical way.
  • When you sing to him, he calms down.
  • Whether Kathleen speaks to him in English or her best attempt at Chinese he doesn't react one way or the other.  Maybe her Chinese just isn't good enough?
  • He is missing his crib, he is in a bed at the hotel and he is looking for the rails to climb up.
Kellin and Mommy, I'm guessing we'll see a lot of pictures
like this over the coming days!  As it should be!
I'm not sure any of those things are surprising given where he has come from.  I'm super excited about his wanting to be helped to walk, and of the sounds that he is making.  Hopefully that means that he will be ready to progress once he is in a more nurturing environment.  But I know, one day at a time.  We've thrown a lot of changes at him for sure!  Unfortunately it is still quite awhile until he is home and can adjust to his new life.  

Today they will start the in country paperwork, hopefully that all goes well. I'm so paranoid that they will be missing a document that they need.  We checked the list several times and I am sure it is all fine there.  I can't wait until tomorrow evening when we can check in with how their first whole day together went (along with a second night).

The Lego Alcove
Back at home, we had a pretty typical day.  We went to church, and shared with everyone who cared to hear the good news.  I posted the first pictures of Kellin and Kathleen on Facebook, and had more notifications than I think I have ever had before!  We continue to prepare the house for Kellin's homecoming.  I helped the kids set up a Lego Alcove so that we can keep Legos as far away from Kellin as possible until he gets to a point where he knows not to put things in his mouth.  So most of the day was spend rearranging furniture to make way for that.  Pooh rediscovered his Little Tikes car that I brought in from the garage to make more room for a larger vehicle out there.  I let him play with it once I was sure that I had as much water out of it as would come out.

It has been quite a day.  I will feel so much better when my family is more than virtually complete.  I really want to be able to hold my son and start my journey with him!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Eric and Kathleen. Kellin will learn there is a big world out there waiting for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors