Friday, January 22, 2016

One Year Ago . . . January 21st

This was an important day in our adoption process. It was the day of our consulate appointment! We had to go to the U.S. consulate in Guangzhou to complete the final steps to get Kellin's visa. Once we had his visa, we could go home! I had signed the final adoption papers, Kellin had passed his medical exam and TB test, he had his passport, so the last piece was to get his visa. We were so close!

But first thing that morning, a little cuddle time with Grandpa. My dad is an amazing man. To leave his life at home for 2 1/2 weeks to travel with me on an emotional journey with so many unknowns - and to do it all with patience and good humor. I will be forever grateful!


Inside there were a number of adopting families there, and there was a play area with toys, where most of the children were happily playing. Not Kellin, of course. Although I was getting better at keeping Kellin calm in the quiet of our hotel room, all bets were off when we ventured into public, and he was NOT happy during this appointment. Dad held him (fussing) off in a corner while I completed some of the process, and then the people behind the desk had to see Kellin and Dad as well, so they joined me. The process itself was simple - paperwork checks, a quick oath - and then we were done, but the waiting time was stressful for Kellin (and therefore, for us too).

Cameras and phones were not allowed inside the consulate, but here is a picture outside. You can probably see that Kellin is stressed and trying to get me to stop touching him.


Back to the hotel for some calm-down time, and then some fun time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will put it up on the blog as soon as I review it for appropriateness.

Contributors